Designer: Lisa DeBee Schiller
1⁄3 yard lime green swirl (pillow top)
1⁄8 yard dark gray dot (pillow top)
8x12" piece orange felted wool (appliqués)
7x9" piece dark orange felted wool (appliqués)
4x7" piece light orange felted wool (appliqués)
4" square brown felted wool (appliqués)
7x7" piece gold felted wool (appliqués)
1x2" piece black felted wool (appliqués)
5⁄8 yard multicolor print (pillow back, binding)
12-1⁄2"-long piece 3⁄8"-wide ribbon
Lightweight fusible web
Embroidery floss: dark gray, orange, gold, black, brown
12"-square pillow form
Finished pillow: 12-1⁄2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics unless otherwise specified.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Patterns are in downloadable PDF above.
To felt wool, machine-wash it in a hot-water-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry it on high heat and steam-press.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving a small space between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape just outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer’s instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto backs of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From lime green swirl, cut:
From dark gray dot, cut:
From orange wool, cut:
1 Pattern A
From dark orange wool, cut:
1 Pattern B
From light orange wool, cut:
1 Pattern C
From brown wool, cut:
1 Pattern D
From gold wool, cut:
1 each of patterns E, F, I, and J
From black wool, cut:
1 of Pattern G
1 of Pattern H
From multicolor print, cut:
2—2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
Assemble Pumpkin Pillow Top
1. Referring to Pumpkin PIllow Top Assembly Diagram, sew together lime green swirl 10-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" rectangle and dark gray dot 2-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" rectangle to make pillow top. Press seam toward dark gray dot.
2. Referring to Pumpkin Appliqué Placement Diagram, center ribbon over pillow top seam. Using two strands of dark gray floss and a running stitch, sew along ribbon edges.
For embroidery stitch instructions, see downloadable PDF above.
1. Referring to Pumpkin Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange orange, dark orange, and light orange A–C pieces on pillow top. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse pieces in place.
2. Using two strands of orange floss, featherstitch along edges of orange appliqués.
3. Referring to Pumpkin Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange all remaining appliqué pieces on pillow top. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse pieces in place.
4. Using one strand of gold floss, tack-stitch along edges of gold appliqués. Using two strands of dark gray floss, stem-stitch along edges of gold appliqués.
5. Using one strand of black floss, tack-stitch along edges of black appliqués.
6. Using one strand of brown floss, tack-stitch along edges of brown appliqué.
Finish Pumpkin Pillow
1. With wrong sides inside, fold multicolor print 12-1⁄2x16" rectangles in half to make two 12-1⁄2x8" double-thick rectangles. Overlap folded edges about 3-1⁄2" to make a 12-1⁄2" square pillow back (Pillow Back Assembly Diagram). Baste overlapped edges.
2. With wrong sides together, layer pillow top and pillow back; pin. Baste edges together through all layers.
3. Bind edges of pillow top and pillow back with multicolor print binding strips to make pillow cover. Insert pillow form to make Happy Pumpkin Pillow.