Materials and Cutting
Designer: Darlene Zimmerman
40 -- 2-5/8" squares of assorted feed sack prints, cutting each in half diagonally for 80 triangles total
5/8 yard solid blue
5/8 yard backing fabric
Finished quilt: 17-1/2x21"
Cut the Fabrics
From solid blue, cut:
2 -- 2-1/2x42" binding strips
2 -- 2x42" strips for border
40 -- 2-5/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 80 triangles
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Sew together a feed sack print triangle and a solid blue triangle to make a triangle-square (Diagram 1). Press seam toward solid blue triangle. The triangle-square should be 2-1/4" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 80 triangle-squares total.
2. Referring to Doll Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out triangle-squares in 10 rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 14-1/2x18" including seam allowances.
3. Cut and piece solid blue 3x42" strips to make:
2 -- 2x21" border strips
2 -- 2x14-1/2" border strips.
4. Sew short border strips to short edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to long edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing.
2. Quilt as desired. Designer Darlene Zimmerman hand-quilted a leaf design in each solid blue row and border and a diagonal line 1/4" inside each feedsack print row (Quilting Diagram).
3. Use solid blue binding strips to bind quilt.