Designer: Annie Lippincott
Scraps of felted wool (Choose different colors for the face, eyes, and nose.)
Pencil for tracing
Perle cotton (in black and orange)
1. To felt wool, machine-wash it in a hot-water wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry and steam press.
1. Lay the freezer paper, shiny side down, over the Appliqué Placement Diagram. With a pencil, trace two head shapes, two eyes, and a nose. Cut out the freezer-paper shapes.
2. Using a hot, dry iron, press the freezer-paper shapes onto your fabrics (use different colors for cat face, eyes, and mouth); let cool. Cut out the fabric shapes. Peel off the freezer paper.
1. Position the eyes and nose on the cat face. Use the black perle cotton to blanket-stitch each eye in place. Make a French knot in the center of each eye for the pupil.
2. Use the orange perle cotton to blanket-stitch the nose in place.
3. Straight-stitch the whiskers and ear marking.
4. Place the appliquéd cat face on top of a plain head shape with the wrong sides facing together; baste, leaving an opening at the bottom.
5. Using the orange perle cotton, blanket-stitch around the cat face. Stuff with fiberfill, then place the cat head on the eraser end of an unsharpened pencil.
6. Tie a ribbon around the pencil underneath the cat head.