Inspired by "Triple Play" from designer Patty Young
Project maker: Judy Sams Sohn
12—3-1/2" squares assorted prints in pink, green, red, and blue (pillow top)
3/8 yard red-and-green floral (pillow top, pillow back)
12-1/2x16-1/2" rectangle lightweight fusible interfacing
12x16" pillow form
Finished pillow: 12x16"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From red-and-green floral, cut:
Assemble Pillow Top
1. Lay out assorted print 3-1/2" squares in four rows (Diagram 1). When you are pleased with the arrangement, join squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make pillow top center; press seams in one direction. The pillow top center should be 9-1/2x12-1/2" including seam allowances.
2. Sew red-and-green floral 4x12-1/2" rectangles to long edges of pillow top center to make pillow top (Diagram 2). Press seams away from center. The pillow top should be 12-1/2x16-1/2" including seam allowances.
1. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse interfacing 12-1/2x16-1/2" rectangle to wrong side of pillow top.
2. Turn under one long edge of each red-and-green floral 10-3/4x12-1/2" rectangle 1/4"; press. Turn under 1/4" again and stitch in place to hem pillow back pieces.
3. Referring to Pillow Back Assembly Diagram, overlap hemmed edges of pillow back pieces by about 4" to make a 16-1/2x12-1/2" pillow back. Baste overlapped edges.
4. Layer pillow top and back. Stitch around all edges to make pillow cover. Turn right side out and press. Insert pillow form through opening in pillow back.