Inspired by Bubble Up from designer Sachiko Aldous 
Quilt tester: Jan Ragaller
22" square solid aqua (appliqué foundation)
1⁄3 yard total assorted prints (appliqués)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) orange print (piping)
1-1⁄2 yards backing fabric
20" square pillow form
2-1⁄3 yards 3⁄16"-wide cotton cording
Washable fabric glue (optional)
Finished pillow: 20-1⁄2" square
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" above for the patterns.
From assorted prints, cut:
1 of Pattern A
9 of Pattern B
8 of Pattern C
From orange print, cut:
Enough 2-1⁄4"-wide bias strips to make an 86"-long piece for piping
From backing fabric, cut:
Applique Pillow Front
1. Fold solid aqua square in half vertically and horizontally (Diagram 1). Lightly finger-press folds; unfold. Fold square diagonally in both directions and lightly finger-press again to make an appliqué foundation with placement lines; unfold.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, arrange assorted A, B, and C circles atop appliqué foundation. Pin or baste circles in place.
3. Machine-straight-stitch 1⁄4" from outer edge of each circle to make appliquéd pillow front. Machine-wash to ravel the appliqué edges. Press and trim appliquéd pillow front to 20-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew together orange print 2-1⁄4"-wide bias strips to make one long bias strip.
2. Fold one short end of orange print piping strip under 1-1⁄2". With wrong side inside, fold strip in half lengthwise. Insert cording next to folded edge with cording end 1" from folded strip end. Using a zipper foot, baste through fabric layers right next to cording to make piping (Diagram 3). Trim seam allowances to 1⁄4" wide.
3. Aligning raw edges, baste piping to all edges of appliquéd pillow front, starting 1-1⁄2" from folded piping end. As you stitch each corner, clip seam allowance to within a few threads of stitching line (Diagram 4); gently ease piping in place. Cut end of cording to fit snugly inside folded opening, then stitch to beginning point.
4. With wrong side inside, fold each backing 20-1⁄2x24-1⁄2" rectangle in half to form two double-thick 20-1⁄2x12-1⁄4" rectangles. (The double thickness results in a more stable pillow back.) Overlap folded edges about 4" to make a 20-1⁄2" square (Pillow Back Assembly Diagram). Baste across edges where layers overlap to make pillow back.
5. Layer appliquéd pillow front and back with right sides together; pin. Sew together around outer edges just inside cording stitching line to make pillow cover. Turn right side out; press. Insert 20"-square pillow form through opening to complete pillow.