Materials for One Large and One Small Ornament
Designer: Robin Nelson
1—9x10" piece cream felted wool (stars, hearts)
1/4 yard lightweight fusible web
Metallic embroidery floss: silver
Rayon embroidery floss: shiny white
8-mm pearl beads (2 total)
4-mm pearl beads(33 total)
5-mm flat back crystal accents (10 total)
3-mm flat back crystal accents (10 total)
Tacky or fabric glue
Finished ornaments: Large, 4-1⁄2"; small, 3-3⁄4"
Cut pieces in the order that follows. Patterns are in the downloadable PDF above. To make templates, see Make and Use Templates in downloadable PDF.
To felt wool, machine- wash it in a hot-water-wash, cool-rinse cycle with a small amount of detergent; machine-dry it on high heat and steam-press.
To use fusible web, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over Large and Small Star and Heart patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern once, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong side of cream wool; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From remaining cream wool, cut:
1 each of Large Star and Small Star patterns
1. Referring to Diagram 1, use three strands of silver embroidery floss to featherstitch the cream wool large star without fusible web from each tip to center.
To featherstitch, pull needle up at A, form a V shape with floss, and hold angle in place with your thumb (Featherstitch Diagram). Push needle down at B, about 3⁄8" from A, and come up at C. For next stitch, insert needle at D and bring it out at E; continue in same manner.
2. Fuse cream wool large heart in center of star (Diagram 2). Using three strands of white embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around heart.
To blanket-stitch, pull needle up at A, form a reverse L shape with floss, and hold angle in place with your thumb (Blanket Stitch Diagram). Push needle down at B and come up at C to secure stitch. Continue in same manner.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 using the cream wool small star and heart pieces.
4. Referring to photo on page 1, attach pearl beads and crystal E accents to complete embellished stars.
1. With fusible web inside, lay each embellished star on its corresponding-size fused cream wool star. Place embellished side face down on a well- padded surface and cover with a pressing paper or cloth; fuse together wool pieces. Use a dry iron and do not move iron when pressing.
2. Using three strands of white embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around outer edges of stars to complete ornaments.