Designer: Karen Snyder
1-1⁄2 yards holiday novelty print (center)
2 yards holiday border print (border)
2⁄3 yard red print (binding)
3-5⁄8 yards backing fabric
71" square batting
Finished tree skirt: 65" diameter
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut border strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvage).
From holiday novelty print, cut:
From holiday border print, cut:
6—10-1⁄2x36" strips cut on same portion of stripe
From red print, cut:
7—2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
1. Using the 60-degree angle on a quilting ruler, cut three triangles from one holiday novelty print 20-1⁄2x42" strip (Diagram 1). Repeat to cut six triangles total. On each triangle, use a safety pin to mark the edge that is on the fabric’s crosswise grain (the edge indicated by arrows in Diagram 1).
2. Fold a holiday border print strip in half widthwise and finger-press to mark center. Fold a holiday novelty print triangle in half along pinned edge and finger-press to mark center. With right sides together, sew together border print strip and triangle, aligning centerlines. Press seam toward triangle.
3. Using a quilting ruler, trim border print strip even with triangle edges to make triangle unit A (Diagram 2).
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make three total of triangle unit A.
5. Repeat steps 2 and 3, pressing seams toward strips to make three total of triangle unit B.
Assemble Tree Skirt Top
Referring to Tree Skirt Assembly Diagram, lay out triangle units, alternating units A and B. Join triangle units in sets of three to make tree skirt halves; press seams in one direction. Sew together halves to make tree skirt top. Press seams in one direction.
Finish Tree Skirt
1. Layer tree skirt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Referring to Tree Skirt Assembly Diagram, draw a 6"-diameter circle in center of tree skirt using a saucer or compass.
4. Using a ruler and pencil, draw a perpendicular centerline from outside edge of one triangle unit to center circle. Cut on marked centerline, and cut out circle.
5. Bind with red print binding strips around outside edge, along edges of cut triangle unit, and around edge of center circle.