Inspired by Twinkle, Twinkle from designer Jo Morton 
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
1/4 yard blue check (blocks, sashing squares)
1/4 yard solid cream (blocks)
1/4 yard pink check (blocks, border)
1/2 yard green print (blocks)
1/4 yard multicolor stripe (sashing)
5/8 yard blue print (border, binding)
1 yard backing fabric
34" square batting
Finished quilt: 28" square
Finished block: 3" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated. Download this Project 
For precise seams in blocks as small as these, some quilters prefer paper piecing instead of a traditional method. Click on "Download this Project" if you would like the Flying Geese Foundation Pattern to paper-piece the Flying Geese units in this quilt.
Cut pieces in the following order. Instructions are for a single-fold binding of 1-1/8"-wide strips. If you wish to use a double-fold binding, increase the blue print amount to 1/2 yard and cut 2-1/2"-wide strips.
From blue check, cut:
9—2" sashing squares
From solid cream, cut:
From pink check, cut:
From green print, cut:
4—5-3/4" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 16 setting triangles total
4—3-1/2" setting square
8—3-1/4" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 16 corner triangles total
From multicolor stripe, cut:
12—2x9" sashing rectangles
From blue print, cut:
3—1-1/8x42" binding strips
4—3-1/2x22" border strips Download this Project 
Assemble Flying Geese Units
1. Use a pencil to draw a diagonal line on wrong side of each blue check 1-5/8" square.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, align two marked blue check squares with opposite corners of a solid cream 2-3/4" square. Sew a scant 1/4" from drawn lines on both sides of lines. Cut apart on drawn lines to make two triangle units (Diagram 2). Press seams toward small triangles.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, align a marked blue check square with solid cream corner of a triangle unit. Sew a scant 1/4" from drawn line on both sides of line. Cut apart on drawn line (Diagram 4). Press seams toward small triangles to make two Flying Geese units. Repeat with remaining triangle unit to make two additional Flying Geese units. Each Flying Geese unit should be 2x1-1/4" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 64 Flying Geese units total.
1. Referring to Diagram 5, lay out four Flying Geese units, four solid cream 1-1/4" squares, and one pink check 2" square in three rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward squares in each row. Join rows to make a Sawtooth Star block. The block should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. To reduce bulk, clip through both layers of seam allowances up to seam lines 1/4" on each side of seam intersections (clips will be 1/2" apart). Press Flying Geese seam allowances toward pink check and solid cream squares. Press clipped intersections open to create a tiny Four-Patch on the block’s wrong side (Diagram 6).
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make 16 Sawtooth Star blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Diagram 7, lay out four Sawtooth Star blocks, one green print setting square, and four green print setting triangles in three diagonal rows. Sew together pieces in each row; press seams toward setting square and triangles. Join rows. Add four green print corner triangles to make a block unit. Trim block unit to 9" square, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance on all edges.
2. Referring to Assemble Blocks, Step 3, clip seam intersections on block unit. Press block seam allowances toward green print setting pieces; press clipped intersections open.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make four block units total.
4. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out block units, multicolor stripe sashing rectangles, and blue check sashing squares in five rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams toward sashing rows. The quilt center should be 22" square including seam allowances.
1. Sew blue print border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border strips.
2. Sew pink check 3-1/2" squares to ends of remaining border strips to make two border units. Press seams toward squares. Join border units to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border units.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with blue print binding strips.