Inspired by Oak Leaf Medallion from designer Karen Witt of Reproduction Quilts 
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
2/3 yard mottled blue (appliqué foundation, blocks)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) dark orange tone-on-tone (center, oval, and circle appliqués)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) green tone-on-tone (leaf and circle appliqués)
9x22" piece (fat eighth) light orange tone-on-tone (inner border)
1/3 yard yellow tone-on-tone (blocks)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) blue print (blocks)
18x22" piece (fat quarter) green print (blocks)
1-1/4 yards multicolor floral (blocks, outer border, binding)
9x22" piece (fat eighth) orange print (blocks)
1-1/4 yards backing fabric
42" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 36-1/2" square
Finished blocks: Square-in-a-Square, 4" square; center appliqué, 18" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
Click on "Download this Project" for patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From mottled blue, cut:
1—18-1/2" square for center block appliqué foundation
8—3" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 16 triangles total
From dark orange tone-on-tone, cut:
1 each of patterns A and D
4 of Pattern C
From green tone-on-tone, cut:
4 of Pattern B
1 of Pattern E
From light orange tone-on-tone, cut:
2—1-1/2x20-1/2" inner border strips
2—11-/2x18-1/2" inner border strips
From yellow tone-on-tone, cut:
40—3" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 80 triangles total
From blue print, cut:
From green print, cut:
From multicolor floral, cut:
2—4-1/2x36-1/2" outer border strips
2—4-1/2x28-1/2" outer border strips
4—2-1/2x42" binding strips
4—3-1/4" squares (fussy-cut bird and dragonfly designs)
From orange print, cut:
1. Referring to Center Block Appliqué Placement Diagram, position the following on mottled blue 18-1/2" square: one dark orange tone-on-tone A piece, four green tone-on-tone B leaves, four dark orange tone-on-tone C ovals, one dark orange tone-on-tone D circle, and one green tone-on-tone E circle. Fuse all pieces in place following manufacturer’s directions.
2. Using threads that match appliqués, machine-satin-stitch around each shape to make quilt center.
Add Inner Border
Sew light orange tone-on-tone 1-1/2x18-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add light orange tone-on-tone 1-1/2x20-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward border. The quilt center now should be 20-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Middle Border
1. Sew yellow tone-on-tone triangles to opposite edges of a blue print 3-1/4" square (Diagram 1). Press seams toward triangles. Add yellow tone-on-tone triangles to remaining edges to make a Square-in-a-Square A block. Press as before. Trim block to 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 with remaining blue print, green print, and multicolor floral 3-1/4" squares to make 20 Square-in-a-Square A blocks total (two sets of eight matching blocks and one set of four matching blocks).
3. Using mottled blue triangles and an orange print 31/4" square, repeat Step 1 to make a Square-in-a-Square B block (Diagram 2). Repeat to make four Square-in-a-Square B blocks total.
4. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together five Square-in-a-Square A blocks to make a short middle border strip. Press seams in one direction. The short border strip should be 4-1/2x20-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make four short middle border strips total.
5. Add a Square-in-a-Square B block to each end of two short middle border strips to make two long middle border strips. Press seams toward Square-in-a-Square B blocks.
6. Sew short middle border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long middle border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border. The quilt center now should be 28-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Add Outer Border and Finish Quilt
1. Sew multicolor floral 4-1/2x28-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add multicolor floral 4-1/2x36-1/2" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
2. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
3. Bind with multicolor floral binding strips.