Inspired by "Sweet & Simple" from designer Brenda Hawkes
Quiltmaker: Jan Ragaller
25—9x22" pieces (fat eighths) assorted prints in aqua, red, green, and brown (blocks, border)
1-7/8 yards mottled brown (blocks, setting and corner triangles, binding)
3/4 yard total assorted aqua prints (blocks)
3 yards backing fabric
52" square batting
Finished quilt: 45-1/2" square
Finished block: 7-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for the Corner Cutting Pattern template.
From each assorted print in aqua, red, green, and brown, cut:
From remaining assorted aqua, red, green, and brown prints, cut:
From mottled brown, cut:
3—11-7/8" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 12 setting triangles total
2—6-1/4" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
Enough 2-1/2"-wide bias strips to total 200" for binding
From assorted aqua prints, cut:
1. For one block, gather a set of matching assorted print pieces (two 3-7/8" squares and one 2x9" strip) and a set of mottled brown pieces (two 3-7/8" squares, one 2x9" strip, and one 2" square).
2. Use a white or yellow pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each mottled brown 3-7/8" square.
3. Referring to Diagram 1, layer a marked mottled brown 3-7/8" square atop each assorted print 3-7/8" square. Sew each pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line. Cut each pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward print fabric, to make four triangle-squares total.
4. Join a mottled brown 2x9" strip and a print 2x9" strip to make a strip set (Diagram 2). Press seam toward print fabric. Cut strip set into four 2"-wide segments.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out triangle-squares, 2"-wide segments, and mottled brown 2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward 2"-wide segments. Join rows to make a Churn Dash block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 8" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 12 brown Churn Dash blocks total.
7. Repeat steps 1–5, substituting aqua pieces for the mottled brown pieces, to make 13 aqua Churn Dash blocks total (Diagram 4).
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram for placement, lay out blocks and mottled brown setting triangles in diagonal rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows. Press seams in one direction.
3. Add mottled brown corner triangles to make quilt center. Press seams toward corner triangles. Trim quilt center to 42-1/2" square including seam allowances.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Sew together 28 assorted print 2" squares to make a short border strip. Press seams in one direction. The short border strip should be 2x42-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second short border strip.
2. Sew together 30 assorted print 2" squares to make a long border strip. Press seams in one direction. The long border strip should be 2x45-1/2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a second long border strip.
3. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward quilt center.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste.
2. Quilt as desired.
3. Using Corner Cutting Pattern, trace a curve at each corner of quilt top (Diagram 5). Trim excess fabric and batting along marked curves.
4. Bind with mottled brown bias binding strips.