Inspired by Fresh New Attitude from designers Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins of Piece O’ Cake Designs 
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
3/4 yard beige print (appliqué foundation)
1-7/8 yards dark brown print (appliqués, outer border, binding)
1/2 yard red print (appliqués)
1 yard green print (appliqués)
1/2 yard dark green print (appliqués)
8" square red-and-brown print (appliqué)
6" square dark gray print (appliqué)
4" square yellow-and-brown floral (appliqué)
1/3 yard green-and-orange stripe (inner border)
3-1/8 yards backing fabric
56" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 47-1/2" square
Finished center block: 24" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for patterns. Each pattern is marked with a letter and number. Letters identify specific pieces; numbers indicate order of appliquéing.
To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines. To reduce stiffness in appliqués, also cut 1/4" inside traced lines of each piece and discard centers.
2. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From beige print, cut:
From dark brown print, cut:
5—2-1/2x42" binding strips
4—12x42" strips for outer border
1 each of patterns A-1, B-2, C-3, and D-4
From red print, cut:
1 each of patterns E-5, F-6, G-7, and H-8
12 of Pattern S-19
From green print, cut:
5 each of patterns L-12, M-13, and P-16
4 each of patterns J-10 and N-14
3 of Pattern I-9
2 of Pattern O-15
1 of Pattern K-11
From dark green print, cut:
3 each of patterns O-15 and P-16
2 each of patterns K-11 and L-12
1 each of patterns I-9, M-13, and N-14
From red-and-brown print, cut:
1 of Pattern Q-17
From dark gray print, cut:
1 of Pattern R-18
From yellow-and-brown floral, fussy-cut:
1 of Pattern S-19
From green-and-orange stripe, cut:
2—2x27-1/2" inner border strips
2—2x24-1/2" inner border strips
Appliqué Quilt Center
1. Fold beige print 26" square in half diagonally twice; press lightly to make a foundation square with placement guidelines; unfold.
2. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position dark brown print A-1, B-2, C-3, and D-4 stem appliqués along placement guidelines. Then arrange red print tulip pieces; green print and dark green print leaf appliqués; and red-and-brown print, dark gray print, and yellow-and-brown floral circle appliqués on foundation square. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, fuse all pieces in place.
3. Set up your machine for a short zigzag or satin stitch. Using threads that match individual appliqués and working from bottom layer to top, sew around edges of each appliqué.
4. Centering design, trim appliquéd foundation to 24-1/2" square including seam allowances to make center block.
Add Inner Border
Sew green-and-orange stripe 2x24-1/2" inner border strips to opposite edges of center block. Add green-and-orange stripe 2x27-1/2" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
Appliqué and Add Outer Border
1. Cut and piece dark brown print 12x42" strips to make:
- 2—12x49" outer border strips
- 2—12x29" outer border strips
2. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out red print circles and remaining green print and dark green print leaf appliqués on outer border strips; make sure pieces are at least 1" away from long edges of border strips. At each end of short outer border strips remove a leaf and a circle appliqué (see pieces outlined in yellow on Quilt Assembly Diagram); you will appliqué these pieces after stitching border strips to quilt center. Fuse remaining pieces in place.
3. Using matching threads, machine-stitch around fused appliqués as before.
4. Centering design, trim short outer border strips to 10-1/2x27-1/2" including seam allowances; trim long outer border strips to 10-1/2x47-1/2" including seam allowances.
5. Sew short outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add long outer border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward outer border.
6. Position and fuse remaining leaf and circle appliqués on outer border; machine-stitch as before to complete quilt top.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark brown print binding strips.