Quilt designers: The Cloth Shop, Vancouver, BC
From Quilt Sampler, 1999
2 yards total of assorted gold, red, purple, blue, green, and brown prints for blocks and flower, heart, and star appliques
2-1/2 yards of solid black for blocks and outer border
1/4 yard of purple print for inner border
1/3 yard of green print for vine appliques
4--1/8-yard pieces of assorted green prints for leaf appliques
5/8 yard of red print for binding
3-1/2 yards of backing fabric
61" square of quilt batting
20 assorted round and star-shape buttons
Finished quilt top: 55" square
Finished block unit: 3-1/2" square
Quantities specified for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut the Fabrics
Cut pieces in the order that follows. Cut the outer border strips the length of the fabric (parallel to the selvage).
Click on "Download This Project" to download the full-size patterns. Make templates of patterns; remember to add a 3/16" seam allowance when cutting out applique pieces.
From assorted gold, red, purple, blue, green, and brown prints, cut:
72 each of patterns A and B
From remaining gold prints, cut:
3 each of patterns C, D, and H
From remaining brown prints, cut:
3 of Pattern E
From remaining red prints, cut:
3 of Pattern F
From remaining blue prints, cut:
3 of Pattern G
From solid black, cut:
2--6x55-1/2" outer border strips
2--6x44-1/2" outer border strips
72 each of patterns A and B
From purple print, cut:
5--1-1/2x42" strips for inner border
From green print, cut:
6 each of patterns I and I reversed
From assorted green prints, cut:
55 of Pattern J
From red print, cut:
6--2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble the Units
1. Layer a print B piece atop a solid black A piece with center marks aligned. Pin the pieces together at the center (see Diagram 1), then at each end.
2. Using slender pins and picking up only a few threads at each position, pin generously in between (see Diagram 2).
3. Sew together the pieces, removing each pin just before your needle reaches it, to make a block unit (see Diagram
3). Press the seam allowance gently toward the print B piece. The pieced unit should measure 4" square, including the seam allowances.
4. Repeat to make a total of 72 block units with assorted print B pieces and solid black A pieces.
5. Repeat step 1 through 3 to make an additional 72 block units using solid black B pieces and assorted print A pieces (see Diagram 4).
Assemble the Quilt Center
1. Referring to the photograph, lay out the 144 block units in 12 horizontal rows. The arrangement should form Drunkard's Path blocks.
2. Sew together the units in each row. Press the seam allowances in one direction, alternating the direction with each row.
3. Join the rows to make the quilt center. Press the seam allowances in one direction. The pieced quilt center should measure 42-1/2" square, including the seam allowances.
Add the Borders
1. Cut and piece the purple print 1-1/2x42" strips to make the following:
2--1-1/2x44-1/2" inner border strips
2--1-1/2x42-1/2" inner border strips
2. Sew the short purple print inner border strips to opposite edges of the pieced quilt center. Then add the long purple print inner border strips to the remaining edges of the pieced quilt center. Press the seam allowances toward the inner border.
3. Sew the solid black 6x44-1/2" outer border strips to opposite edges of the quilt center. Then add the solid black 6x55-1/2" outer border strips to the remaining edges of the pieced quilt center to complete the quilt top. Press the seam allowances toward the outer border.
Applique Border and Complete Quilt
1. Prepare the star, sunflower, heart, flower, vine, and leaf pieces for applique by finger-pressing under any 3/16" seam allowances that will be exposed; you do not need to turn under edges that will be overlapped by other pieces.
2. Referring to the photograph, lay out the applique pieces on the solid black outer border; baste in place, starting with the pieces on the bottom and working up.
3. Using threads that match the fabrics, machine-blanket-stitch the applique pieces in place.
Complete the Quilt
1. Layer the appliqued quilt top, batting, and backing. Quilt as desired.
2. Use the red print 2-1/2x42" strips to bind the quilt. Referring to the photograph, hand-sew the buttons onto the appliqued border.