Inspired by Back on Track from designer Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie’s Quilt Co .
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
2⁄3 yard multicolor plaid (block backgrounds)
1⁄2 yard black floral (sashing, inner border, blocks)
3⁄4 yard total assorted green, orange, black, and yellow prints (blocks)
2⁄3 yard light blue print (block backgrounds)
1 yard gray paisley (outer border, binding)
2-5⁄8 yards backing fabric
47" square batting
Acrylic ruler with 45 degree marking
9" square or larger acrylic ruler (optional)
Finished quilt: 39" square
Finished blocks: 8-1⁄2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From multicolor plaid, cut:
5—6-1⁄2" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 20 small triangles total
10—5-1⁄2" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 20 large triangles total
From black floral, cut:
2—1-1⁄2x30" inner border strips
2—1-1⁄2x28" inner border strips
2—1-1⁄2x28" sashing strips
6—1-1⁄2x9" sashing rectangles
From light blue print, cut:
4—6-1⁄2" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an X for 16 small triangles total
8—5-1⁄2" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 16 large triangles total
From scraps of light blue print and black floral and from assorted green, orange, black, and yellow prints, cut 9 sets of:
From scraps of light blue print, black floral, and assorted green, orange, black, and yellow prints, cut:
36—2-3⁄4" squares (9 sets of 4 matching squares)
36—1-1⁄2×3-1⁄2" rectangles (9 sets of 4 matching rectangles)
From gray paisley, cut:
2—5x39" outer border strips
2—5x30" outer border strips
4—2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
1. For one plaid block, gather a set of four 1-1⁄2x2-1⁄2" rectangles and four 1-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" rectangles from one print, four 2-3⁄4" squares from a second print, four 1-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" rectangles from a third print, one 1-1⁄2" square from a fourth print, four multicolor plaid large triangles, and four multicolor plaid small triangles.
2. Referring to Diagram 1, sew a print 1-1⁄2x2-1⁄2" rectangle to a short edge of a plaid small triangle. Add a matching print 1-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" rectangle to adjacent edge of small triangle to make a triangle segment. Press seams toward rectangles.
3. Place triangle segment on work surface with wrong side up. Position edge of an acrylic ruler at seam intersection, aligning 45-degree line with a short edge of multicolor plaid small triangle (Diagram 2). Use a pencil or chalk marker to draw a line along edge of ruler.
4. With right sides together, place a print 2-3⁄4" square under triangle segment, aligning corners (Diagram 3). Sew on marked line. Trim 1⁄4" from seam and discard excess fabric. Press open attached triangle, pressing seam toward triangle. Referring to Diagram 4, trim attached triangle even with edges of triangle unit to make a side unit.
5. Repeat steps 2–4 to make four side units total.
6. Referring to Diagram 5, lay out side units, print 1-1⁄2x3-1⁄2" rectangles, and print 1-1⁄2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward print rectangles. Join rows; press seams toward middle row. Referring to Diagram 6, trim side units even with edges of joined rows to make a block center.
7. Sew multicolor plaid large triangles to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 7). Add multicolor plaid large triangles to remaining edges to make a plaid block. Press all seams toward large triangles. With block center centered, trim block to 9" square including seam allowances (Diagram 8).
8. Repeat steps 1–7 to make five plaid blocks total.
9. Using light blue print triangles instead of multicolor plaid, repeat steps 1–7 to make four blue blocks.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks, black floral sashing rectangles, and black floral sashing strips in three vertical rows. Sew together pieces in each block row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles. Join block rows and sashing strips to make quilt center. Press seams toward sashing strips. The quilt center should be 28" square including seam allowances.
2. Sew black floral 1-1⁄2x28" inner border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add black floral 1-1⁄2x30" inner border strips to remaining edges. Press all seams toward inner border.
3. Sew gray paisley 5x30" outer border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Add gray paisley 5x39" outer border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward outer border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind quilt with gray paisley binding strips.