Inspired by Circle Around from designer Julie Herman 
Quiltmaker: Jan Ragaller
32—precut 10" squares or 2-1/2 yards total assorted pink prints (blocks)
4-3/4 yards solid tan (blocks)
5/8 yard dark pink print (binding)
5-1/8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 67x86"
Finished block: 9-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" for Circle Pattern and tips on using and making templates.
From assorted pink prints, cut:
From solid tan, cut:
From dark pink print, cut:
8—2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. Fold an assorted pink print 10" square in half vertically and horizontally to find center and divide square into quarters. Lightly finger-press to create positioning guidelines; unfold.
2. Center Circle Pattern on wrong side of prepared pink print square and use a pencil to trace around circle. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw the line, place 220-grit sandpaper under the square.)
3. Carefully cut out circle along drawn line, reserving square. Repeat to make 32 assorted pink print 6-1/2" circles and 32 assorted pink print 10" squares with a 6-1/2"-diameter circle opening. (You will use 31 circles.)
4. Aligning raw edges, layer a pink print 10" square with a 6-1/2"-diameter circle opening atop a solid tan 10" square (Diagram 1); pin. Sew pink print square to solid tan square 1/4" from the circle’s raw edge to make Block A; press. Editor’s Tip: Use a walking foot when sewing the curved piece to the foundation to prevent stretching the shape.
5. Using assorted pink print 10" squares with a 6-1/2"-diameter circle opening and solid tan 10" squares, repeat Step 4 to make 32 A Blocks total.
6. Fold a remaining solid tan 10" square in half vertically and horizontally; lightly finger-press to make positioning guidelines.
7. Aligning positioning guidelines, center a pink print circle atop prepared solid tan square (Diagram 2); pin. Sew pink print circle to foundation 1/4" from raw edge to make Block B. Press.
8. Using assorted pink print circles and solid tan 10" squares, repeat steps 6 and 7 to make 31 B Blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in nine rows, alternating A and B blocks.
2. Sew together blocks in each row, stitching through all three layers of fabric. Press seams toward B blocks.
3. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with dark pink print binding strips.