Based on an original project by Mabeth Oxenreider.
3/4 yard of solid white for blocks
9—10-1/2x42" strips and 16—8-1/2x42" strips
or 5-1/2 yards total of assorted bright yellow, pink, green, orange, and teal prints and stripes for blocks and appliqués
1-5/8 yards of pink floral for outer border
3/4 yard of pink print for binding
6-1/3 yards of backing fabric
76x106" of quilt batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt top: 70x100"
Finished blocks: 20x15"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. All measurements include a 1/4" seam allowance. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Initial Pattern and Fabric Cuts
Make the Initial Pattern
To personalize this quilt for the recipient, choose a font on your computer, type the desired letter, and enlarge it to approximately 8" wide to create a pattern for the initial.
Cut the Fabrics
To make the best use of your fabrics, cut the pieces in the order that follows. Click on "Download this Project" to download the full-size appliqué patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, as was done in this project, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over the patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each piece roughly 1/4" outside the traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, press the fusible-web shapes onto the wrong side of the designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out the fabric shapes on the drawn lines. Peel off the paper backings.
From solid white, cut:
From assorted bright prints and stripes, cut:
3 of the initial pattern
2 each of patterns A, I, and J
3 each of patterns F and G
10 each of patterns B and H
23 of Pattern C
6 of Pattern K
7 of Pattern D
33 of Pattern E
From pink floral, cut:
9—5-1/2x42" strips for border
From pink print, cut:
9—2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble the Blocks
Assemble Block A
1.Referring to Diagram 1 for placement, lay out the following solid white and assorted bright print and stripe pieces: one 8-1/2" square, one 6-1/2" square, two 3-1/2" squares, one 5-1/2x12-1/2" rectangle, one 2-1/2x8-1/2" rectangle, two 5-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles, one 2-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle, one 2-1/2x5-1/2" rectangle, and two 3-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles.
2. Sew together the pieces in sections; press. Then join the sections to make a Block A; press. Pieced Block A should measure 20-1/2x15-1/2", including the seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a total of nine of Block A.
Assemble Block B
1. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out the following solid white and assorted bright print and stripe pieces: one 10-1/2" square, two 3-1/2" squares, one 2-1/2x10-1/2" rectangle, two 3-1/2x7-1/2" rectangles, two 4-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles, and four 3-1/2x6-1/2" rectangles.
2. Sew together the pieces in sections; press. Then join the sections to make a Block B; press. Pieced Block B should measure 20-1/2x15-1/2", including the seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a total of nine of Block B.
Appliqué and Assemble the Quilt Center
Appliqué and Assemble the Quilt Center
1. Referring to the Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out the 18 blocks in three vertical rows, alternating blocks A and B. In the quilt shown, all three rows were laid out starting with a Block A, then the middle row was flipped (note the direction the arrows run in the Quilt Assembly Diagram). This kept the construction easy but broke up the repetition of the blocks.
2. Before sewing together the blocks, place all of the appliqué pieces, including the three initials, on the blocks to determine their appropriate locations. Refer to diagrams 3, 4, and 5 for placement of the large, medium, and small flower appliqué shapes.
3. When you’re pleased with the arrangement of the appliqué shapes, fuse the pieces in place.
4. Using coordinating colors of thread and a small zigzag stitch, machine-stitch around each appliqué shape.
5. Sew together the blocks in each row. Press the seam allowances toward the B blocks. Then join the rows to make the quilt center. Press the seam allowances in one direction. The pieced quilt center should measure 60-1/2x90-1/2", including the seam allowances.
Add the Border and Complete the Quilt
Complete the Quilt
1. Layer the quilt top, batting, and backing.
2. Quilt as desired. The quilt shown was machine-quilted all over with flowers and swirls. The appliqués were then echo-quilted to further enhance them.
3. Use the pink print 2-1/2x42" strips to bind the quilt.