Inspired by "Between the Lines" from designer Mabeth Oxenreider
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
The featured large-floral border print has the olive floral stripe actually built into the fabric. If you’re using those exact fabrics, cut large-floral print strips 11x64-1/4" and eliminate olive floral sashing.
1/2 yard light green tone-on-tone (blocks)
1/3 yard mottled beige (blocks)
1/3 yard dark rose tone-on-tone
2/3 yard rose large floral (setting and corner triangles)
1/2 yard beige floral (setting and corner triangles)
1/2 yard pink tone-on-tone (sashing)
1/4 yard dark olive tone-on-tone (sashing)
5/8 yard olive floral (sashing, binding)
2 yards tan large-floral border print (border)
3 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 47-3/4x64-1/4"
Finished block: 4-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Cut tan large-floral border strips lengthwise (parallel to the selvages).
From light green tone-on-tone, cut:
From mottled beige, cut:
From dark rose tone-on-tone, cut:
From rose large floral, cut:
9—7-5/8" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an x for 36 setting triangles total
4—4-1/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 8 corner triangles total
From beige floral, cut:
5—7-5/8" squares, cutting each diagonally twice in an x for 20 setting triangles total (You will use 18.)
2—4-1/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
From pink tone-on-tone, cut:
8—1-1/2x42" strips for sashing
From dark olive tone-on-tone, cut:
4—1-1/2x42" strips for sashing
From dark floral, cut:
2—2x64-1/4" strips for sashing
From tan large-floral border print, cut:
2—10x64-1/4" border strips
From olive floral, cut:
6—2-1/2x42" binding strips
4—2x42" strips for sashing
1. Join two light green tone-on-tone 2x42" strips and one mottled beige 2x42" strip to make strip set A (Diagram 1). Press seams toward light green tone-on-tone strips. Repeat to make a second strip set A. Cut strip sets into 40—2"-wide A segments.
2. Sew together two mottled beige 2x42" strips and one dark rose tone-on-tone 2x42" strip to make strip set B (Diagram 2). Press seams toward dark rose tone-on-tone strip. Cut strip set into 20—2"-wide B segments.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, join two A segments and one B segment to make a Nine-Patch block AB. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 5" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 20 Nine-Patch AB blocks total.
4. Repeat Step 2 with two dark rose tone-on-tone strips and one light green tone-on-tone strip to make a strip set C. Cut strip set into 20—2"-wide C segments. Then repeat Step 2 with two light green tone-on-tone strips and a dark rose tone-on-tone strip to make a strip set D. Cut strip set into 10—2"-wide D segments. Referring to Diagram 4 and Step 3, join two C segments and one D segment to make a Nine-Patch block CD. Repeat to make 10 Nine-Patch CD blocks total.
Assemble Block Rows
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out four rose large floral corner triangles, 18 rose large floral setting triangles, and 10 Nine-Patch AB blocks in diagonal rows.
2. Add setting triangles to opposite edges of blocks in each diagonal row (Quilt Assembly Diagram, left row). Triangle points will extend past adjacent edges of blocks (Diagram 5).
3. Join diagonal rows; press seams in one direction. Add corner triangles, centering blocks on long edges of triangles, to make an AB block row. Press seams toward triangles. The AB block row should be 6-7/8x64-1/4" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 to make a second AB block row.
5. Repeat steps 1-3 using beige floral corner and setting triangles and CD blocks to make a CD block row.
Assemble Sashing Strips
1. Cut and piece olive floral 2x42" strips to make:
2—2x64-1/4" sashing strips
2. Cut and piece pink tone-on-tone 1-1/2x42" strips to make:
4—1-1/2x64-1/4" sashing strips
3. Cut and piece dark olive tone-on-tone 1-1/2x42" strips to make:
2—1-1/2x64-1/4" sashing strips
Assemble Quilt Top
Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out all sashing and border strips and block rows; join to complete quilt top. Press seams away from block rows.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with olive floral 2-1/2x42" binding strips.