Inspired by "Sand & Surf" from designer Traci Pahl
Quiltmaker: Jan Ragaller
8—18x22" pieces (fat quarters) assorted red, red-orange, orange, yellow, blue, aqua, teal, and green tone-on-tones (blocks)
3-1/2 yards black tone-on-tone (blocks, binding)
3-3/4 yards backing fabric
67" square batting
Finished quilt: 60-1/2" square
Finished block: 12" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From red, red-orange, orange, yellow, blue, aqua, teal, and green tone-on-tones, cut:
From black tone-on-tone, cut:
7—2-1/2x42" binding strips
Assemble Four-Patch Units
1. Join two assorted tone-on-tone 2x18" strips to make a strip set. Press seam in one direction. Repeat to make 13 assorted strip sets total. Cut strip sets into 100—2"-wide segments (Diagram 1).
2. Sew together two assorted segments to make a Four-Patch unit (Diagram 2). Press seam in one direction. The unit should be 3-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make 50 assorted Four-Patch units total.
1. Referring to Diagram 3 for placement, lay out two Four-Patch units and the following black tone-on-tone pieces: two 3-1/2x12-1/2" rectangles, one 3-1/2x7-1/2" rectangle, one 3-1/2x6-1/2" rectangle, one 3-1/2" square, and one 3-1/2x2-1/2" rectangle in four rows.
2. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward rectangles. Join rows to make a block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 12-1/2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make 25 assorted blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Top
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out blocks in five horizontal rows, rotating every other block 90 degrees.
2. Sew together blocks in each row. Press seams toward the blocks with the long rectangles in vertical position.
3. Join rows to complete quilt top. Press seams in one direction.
1. Layer quilt top, batting and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with black tone-on-tone binding strips.