Inspired by " Artfully Inspired" from designer Robyn Pandolph
Quiltmaker: Laura Boehnke
14" square beige print (appliqué foundation)
9" square dark green print (appliqués)
Scraps of assorted prints in green, turquoise, gold, dark turquoise, rust, and burgundy (appliqués)
8x12" piece each gold floral and dark gold print (border corners)
9x22" piece (fat eighth) burgundy tone-on-tone (border corners)
1/2 yard turquoise floral (border, binding)
26" square backing fabric
26" square batting
Lightweight fusible web
Finished quilt: 20-1/2" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics.
Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on Download this Project to download the appliqué patterns. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1/2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1/4" outside traced lines.
2. Following the manufacturer’s instructions, press fusible-web shapes onto wrong sides of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From dark green print, cut:
1 each of patterns A, B, and B reversed
From green print, cut:
3 each of patterns C and C reversed
From turquoise print, cut:
3 each of patterns D, E, and E reversed
From gold print, cut:
6 of Pattern F
From dark turquoise print, cut:
3 of Pattern G
From rust print, cut:
3 of Pattern H
From burgundy print, cut:
1 each of patterns I, I reversed, and J
From gold floral, cut:
From dark gold print, cut:
From burgundy tone-on-tone, cut:
From turquoise floral, cut:
3—2-1/2x42" binding strips
4—4-1/2x12-1/2" border strips
Appliqué Quilt Center
1. Fold the beige print 14" square in half diagonally twice. Lightly press folds to create a foundation square with appliqué placement guidelines; unfold.
2. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, lay out all appliqué shapes on the beige print 14" foundation square. Fuse all pieces in place. Using matching thread and working from bottom layer to top, machine-satin-stitch around each appliqué.
3. Centering the appliqué, trim foundation square to 12-1/2" square, including seam allowances, to make quilt center.
Assemble and Add Border
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each burgundy tone-on-tone 2-1/2" square.
2. Align a marked burgundy tone-on-tone square with one end of a gold floral 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangle (Diagram 1; note direction of drawn line). Sew on marked line; trim seam allowance to 1/4". Press open attached triangle.
3. Align a marked burgundy tone-on-tone square with opposite end of Step 2 rectangle (Diagram 2; again note direction of marked line). Stitch, trim, and press as before to make a gold Flying Geese unit. The unit should be 2-1/2x4-1/2" including seam allowances.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make four gold Flying Geese units total.
5. Using dark gold print 2-1/2x4-1/2" rectangles instead of gold floral rectangles, repeat steps 2 and 3 to make four dark gold Flying Geese units total (Diagram 3).
6. Referring to Diagram 4, join a gold Flying Geese unit and a dark gold Flying Geese unit to make a border corner square. Press seam toward dark gold Flying Geese unit. The border corner square should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four border corner squares total.
7. Sew turquoise floral border strips to opposite edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border. Referring to photograph for placement, sew a border corner square to each end of remaining turquoise floral border strips. Press seams toward border strips. Join pieced border strips to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with turquoise floral binding strips.