Inspired by One Size Fits All from designer Theresa Porter
Quilt tester: Judy Sams Sohn
1⁄3 yard tan rectangle batik (blocks)
1-3⁄4 yards tan wheat batik (blocks, border, binding)
1⁄3 yard tan crescent batik (blocks)
3⁄8 yard blue-green batik (blocks, border, corners)
1⁄4 yard green dot batik (blocks)
1⁄3 yard cream dot batik (blocks)
1⁄3 yard tan circle-and-swirl batik (blocks)
1⁄4 yard mottled tan batik (blocks)
1⁄4 yard cream batik (blocks)
1⁄4 yard light blue batik (blocks)
1⁄8 yard cream triangle batik (blocks)
3⁄8 yard blue-and-brown batik (border)
7 yards ultralightweight fusible interfacing (such as Pellon 911FF)
4-7⁄8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 62-1⁄2x77-1⁄2"
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabrics. Measurements include 1⁄4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
1. Cut and piece blue-and-brown batik 1-1⁄2x42" strips to make:
2. Cut and piece tan wheat batik 3x42" strips to make:
3. Sew together a blue-and-brown batik 1-1⁄2x70-1⁄2" strip and a tan wheat batik 3x70-1⁄2" strip to make a long border unit. Press seam toward blue-and-brown batik. Repeat to make a second long border unit. Join long border units to the long edges of quilt center. Press seams toward border units.
4. Sew together a blue-and-brown batik 1-1⁄2x55-1⁄2" strip and a tan wheat batik 3x55-1⁄2" strip. Press seam toward blue-and-brown batik. Add a blue-green print 4" square to each end of pieced strip to make a short border unit. Press seams toward pieced strip. Repeat to make a second short border unit. Join short border units to remaining edges of quilt center to complete quilt top. Press seams toward border units.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with tan wheat batik binding strips.
1. Cut T-shirts open; remove collars and armholes but do not trim to size.
2. Place T-shirts facedown. Lay fusible interfacing over the printed designs.
3. Following manufacturer’s instructions, press fusible interfacing onto wrong sides of T-shirts; let cool.
From interfaced T-shirts, cut:
Cut pieces in the following order.
From tan rectangle batik, cut:
From tan wheat batik, cut:
7—3x42" strips for border
8—2-1⁄2x42" binding strips
From tan crescent batik, cut:
From blue-green batik, cut:
From green dot batik, cut:
From cream dot batik, cut:
From tan circle-and-swirl batik, cut:
From mottled tan batik, cut:
From cream batik, cut:
From light blue batik, cut:
From cream triangle batik, cut:
From blue-and-brown batik, cut:
7—1-1⁄2x42" strips for border
Assemble Block A
1. Sew together a tan rectangle batik 1-1⁄2x42" strip and a tan wheat batik 1-1⁄2x42" strip to make a strip set. Press seams toward tan rectangle batik strips. Repeat to make a second strip set. Cut strip sets into two 12-1⁄2"-wide segments and two 20-1⁄2"-wide segments (Diagram 1).
2. Add 12-1⁄2"-wide segments to short edges of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" rectangle. Press seams toward pieced segments (Diagram 2). Join 20-1⁄2"-wide segments to remaining edges to make Block A. Press seams toward pieced segments. Block A should be 16-1⁄2x20-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
3. Using tan crescent batik and blue-green batik 1-1⁄2x42" strips, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second Block A.
Assemble Block B
1. Sew a tan crescent batik 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strip to top edge of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2" square (Diagram 3). Press seam toward tan crescent batik. Add a green dot batik 2-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strip to the right-hand edge to make Block B. Press seam toward strip. Block B should be 14-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" including seam allowances. Repeat to make a reversed Block B, sewing tan crescent batik strip to bottom edge and green dot batik strip to left-hand edge.
2. Using tan rectangle batik 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strips and green dot batik 2-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strips, repeat step 1 to make a second Block B and a second reversed Block B.
Assemble Block C
1. Referring to Diagram 4, sew a tan wheat batik 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strip to top edge of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2" square. Sew a second tan wheat batik 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" strip to bottom edge of a second T-shirt 12-1⁄2" square.
2. Sew together Step 1 units and a tan wheat batik 3-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strip to make Block C. Press seams in one direction. Block C should be 27-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
3. Using cream dot batik 3-1⁄2x12-1⁄2" and 3-1⁄2x15-1⁄2" strips, repeat steps 1 and 2 to make a second C block.
Assemble Block D
1. Join a blue-green batik 2x16-1⁄2" strip to left-hand edge of a T-shirt 12-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 5). Press seam toward blue-green batik strip.
2. Sew a tan circle-and-swirl batik 2-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" strip to right-hand edge of T-shirt rectangle. Press seam toward tan circle-and-swirl strip.
3. Add tan circle-and-swirl batik 2-1⁄2x16" strips to top and bottom edges of T-shirt rectangle. Press seams toward tan circle-and-swirl strips.
4. Sew a mottled tan batik 2x20-1⁄2" strip to left-hand of T-shirt rectangle. Press seam toward mottled tan batik strip.
5. Sew together a cream batik 2x42"strip and a light blue batik 1-1⁄2x42" strip to make a strip set. Press seam toward light blue batik strip. Make a second strip set. Cut strip sets into four 20-1⁄2"-wide segments.
6. Sew a 20-1⁄2"-wide segment to right-hand edge of T-shirt rectangle to make Block D (Diagram 5). Press seams toward segment. Block D should be 20x20-1⁄2" rectangle including seam allowances.
7. Assembling in a mirror-image fashion and using a 20-1⁄2"-wide segment, repeat steps 1–5, then Step 6 to make a mirror-image D block.
8. Using the following pieces and referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, repeat steps 1-4, 6, and 7 to make a second D block and a second mirror-image D block: two T-shirt 12-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" rectangles, two mottled tan batik 2x16-1⁄2" strips, two tan wheat batik 2-1⁄2x16-1⁄2" strips, four tan wheat batik 2-1⁄2x16" strips, two cream triangle batik 2x20-1⁄2" strips, and remaining strip sets.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, sew together blocks in four horizontal rows. Press seams open. Each row should be 55-1⁄2" wide including seam allowances.
2. Join rows to complete quilt center. Press seams open. The quilt center should be 55-1⁄2x70-1⁄2" including seam allowances.