Inspired by Mourning Glory from quilt collector Miriam Kujac
Quilt tester: Laura Boehnke
1-3/4 yards total assorted light and dark batiks in yellow, tan, cream, blue, red, green, orange, black, and purple (blocks)
1-3/4 yards blue batik (sashing, border, binding)
2-7/8 yards backing fabric
Finished quilt: 41-1/4 x 55-1/4"
Finished blocks: 25-Patch, 8-3/4" square; Nine-Patch, 5-1/4" square
Quantities are for 44/45"-wide, 100% cotton fabric. Measurements include 1/4" seam allowances. Sew with right sides together unless otherwise stated.
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted light and dark batiks, cut:
30-2-1/4" squares (6 sets of 5 matching squares) for Nine-Patch blocks
24-2-1/4" squares (6 sets of 4 matching squares) for Nine-Patch blocks
300-2-1/4" squares for 25-Patch blocks
From blue batik, cut:
17-5-3/4 x 9-1/4" sashing rectangles
10-2-1/2 x 42" strips for border and binding
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out one set of five matching batik 2-1/4" squares and one set of four matching batik 2-1/4" squares in three rows. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a Nine-Patch block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 5-3/4" square including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make six Nine-Patch blocks total.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, lay out 25 assorted light and dark batik 2-1/4" squares in five rows. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams in one direction, alternating direction with each row. Join rows to make a 25-Patch block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 9-1/4" square including seam allowances.
4. Repeat Step 3 to make twelve 25-Patch blocks total.
Assemble Quilt Center
1. Referring to photo and Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Nine-Patch blocks, 25-Patch blocks, and blue batik sashing rectangles in seven horizontal rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward sashing rectangles.
2. Join rows to make quilt center. Press seams in one direction. The quilt center should be 37-1/4 x 51-1/4" including seam allowances.
1. Cut and piece blue batik 2-1/2 x 42" strips to make:
. 2-2-1/2 x 51-1/4" border strips
. 2-2-1/2 x 41-1/4" border strips
2. Sew long border strips to long edges of quilt center. Add short border strips to remaining edges to complete quilt top. Press all seams toward border.
1. Layer quilt top, batting, and backing; baste. Quilt as desired.
2. Bind with remaining blue batik 2-1/2 x 42" strips.