Alternate Cutting Method
From dark red print, cut:
16—3-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 32 triangles total
From each gold print, cut:
8—3-7/8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 16 triangles total
From mottled orange, cut:
From assorted bright prints, cut:
From hand-dyed green, cut:
5—2x42" strips for inner border
From red floral, cut:
6—5x42" strips for outer border
7—2-1/2x42" binding strips
1. To cut mottled orange 4-3/4x42" strips into elongated hexagon shapes, first cut out Hexagon Pattern (click "Download this Project" above for full-size pattern).
2. Using double-stick tape, secure Hexagon Pattern to bottom of 6-1/2"-square acrylic ruler, aligning pattern with two corners of ruler (Diagram 1).
3. Center pattern over a mottled orange 4-3/4x42" strip and rotary-cut an elongated hexagon (Diagram 2). Repeat to cut 32 elongated hexagons total.Download this Project 
Alternate Floating Star Unit Assembly
1. Sew a dark red print triangle and a gold print triangle to opposite edges of a mottled orange elongated hexagon to make a Floating Star unit. (Diagram 3). Press open attached triangles. The unit should be 6-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
2. Repeat Step 1 to make 32 Floating Star units total.