Assemble Row 4
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each cream circle batik 3-7⁄8" square.
2. Layer a marked cream circle batik square atop a navy batik 3-7⁄8" square. Sew together with two seams, stitching 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line and press open to make two navy triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
3. Repeat Step 2 to make 12 navy triangle-squares total.
4. Using red sun batik 3-7⁄8" squares instead of navy batik, repeat Step 2 to make 12 red triangle-squares.
5. Sew together a cream circle batik 2×21" strip and a navy batik 2×21" strip to make a navy strip set (Diagram 2). Repeat to make three navy strip sets total. (If you don’t need to straighten your strip sets after cutting, you may need only two strip sets.) Cut strip sets into twelve 3-1⁄2"-wide navy segments. Each segment should be 3-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
6. Using red sun batik 2×21"strips instead of navy batik, repeat Step 5 to make twelve 3-1⁄2"-wide red segments.
7. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together four navy triangle-squares, four 3-1⁄2"-wide navy segments, and one aqua swirl batik 3-1⁄2" square in three rows. Join rows to make a navy Churn Dash block. The block should be 9-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make three navy Churn Dash blocks total.
8. Using red triangle-squares, 3-1⁄2"-wide red segments, and multicolor swirl batik 3-1⁄2" squares, repeat Step 7 to make three red Churn Dash blocks.
9. Referring to Quilt Assembly Diagram, lay out Churn Dash blocks and cream circle batik 3-1⁄2 ×9-1⁄2" rectangles in a row; rotate red Churn Dash blocks 90º so seams nest with blue Churn Dash blocks. Join pieces to make Row 4. Press seams toward Churn Dash blocks