Designer: Amy Berger
Materials for String It Hoop
- 10"-diameter wooden
- Embroidery hoop
- Fat quarter (18x22") of fabric
- 45" length of 1/8"-wide grosgrain ribbon
- Sewing needle
- Sewing thread to match ribbon
- Tacky glue
- 2"-tall wooden clothespins
Assemble the String It Hoop
1. Remove inner ring from embroidery hoop. Lay fabric right side up over the inner ring, positioning the portion of fabric you wish to frame. Put embroidery hoop back together, pushing fabric between the pieces to hold it in place. Tighten the screw and adjust fabric tension as needed.
2. Lay grosgrain ribbon in a zigzag pattern across the framed fabric; place a pin where ribbon changes direction at each end. Trim ribbon ends if necessary.
3. Secure ribbon to the fabric with a few small stitches using doubled sewing thread and a sewing needle; remove pins.
4. Turn embroidery hoop over and trim fabric close to the embroidery hoop edges.
5. Run a thin line of tacky glue along the inner ring back edge, and press fabric edges into glue to prevent fraying; let dry.
6. Pin clothespins to ribbon.