Test Your Tension
Check the machine tension often because something as simple as a thick seam can temporarily throw it off. Here are common causes and solutions for tension issues:
- Dull needle. Change your needle about every 8 hours of quilting.
- Wrong size needle for thread. Check the thread manufacturer's suggested needle size.
- Quilt top and/or backing are too tight. Loosen the tension.
- The machine's timing is off. Check with the machine manufacturer for instructions to time your machine.
- Machine and/or bobbin not thread properly. Rethread them.
- Not moving the machine at a consistent speed. Practice will help you become constant with your speed. Some machines offer a stitch-regulating option.
- Bobbin case and bobbin area clogged with lint. Brush out lint regularly, preferably every time you change the bobbin.