Assemble Checkerboard Units
1. Referring to Diagram 1, lay out eight purple print 2-1⁄2" squares and eight yellow print 2-1⁄2" squares in four rows.
2. Sew together squares in each row. Press seams toward purple print squares.
TIP: When you’re sewing many squares together, save time by chain-piecing. To chain-piece, machine-sew pairs of squares together one after the other without lifting the presser foot or clipping threads between pairs (Diagram 2).
3. Join rows to make a purple-and-yellow checkerboard unit. The unit should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
4. Using 12 purple print 2-1⁄2" squares and 12 orange print 2-1⁄2" squares, repeat steps 1 through 3 to make a purple-and-orange checkerboard unit (Diagram 3). The unit should be 12-1⁄2×8-1⁄2" including seam allowances.
5. Using 18 purple print 2-1⁄2" squares and 18 green print 2-1⁄2" squares, repeat steps 1 through 3 to make a purple-and-green checkerboard unit (see upper left-hand rectangle in Quilt Assembly Diagram). The unit should be 18-1⁄2×8-1⁄2" including seam allowances.