Assemble Pumpkin Bodies
1. Sew together eight gold plaid A pieces in a row along curved edges (Diagram 1). Backstitch at beginning and end of seams. Finger-press seams in one direction.
2. With right side inside, sew together remaining curved ends of pumpkin Step 1 unit, leaving top open for stuffing, to make a flattened ball (Diagram 2).
3. Turn right side out. Stuff firmly with fiberfill.
4. Using heavy-duty thread and a running stitch, hand-sew a scant 1/4" from unfinished edge of opening (Diagram 3).
To make a running stitch, pull needle up at A and insert it back into fabric at B (Running Stitch Diagram). Pull needle up at C and insert it back into fabric at D. Continue in same manner, loading several stitches on needle at a time.
5. Pull up gathers as tight as possible. The gathered opening at top should be about 3/4"-diameter. Double-knot thread at the end to secure gathers and complete pumpkin body.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 using solid cream A pieces.
7. Repeat steps 1–5 using orange plaid A pieces.