1. For one block, gather one jack-o’-lantern print 4-1⁄2" square and three different sets of four print or stripe triangles.
2. Sew two triangles from one set to opposite edges of jack-o’-lantern print square; press seams toward triangles. Add remaining triangles from same set to remaining edges to make block center (Diagram 1); press seams toward triangles. The block center should be 6-1⁄4" square including seam allowances.
3. Join short edges of two contrasting triangles to make a block corner unit (Diagram 2). Press seam in one direction. Repeat to make four matching block corner units total.
4. Sew two block corner units to opposite edges of block center. Press seams away from block center. Join remaining corner units to remaining edges to make a block (Diagram 3). Press seams away from block center. The block should be 8-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make nine blocks total.