1. Using two strands of red embroidery floss and a blanket stitch, sew two red plaid wool E pieces with wrong sides together to make a cuff (Diagram 1). Repeat to make a second cuff.
2. Center a cuff at top of appliquéd mitten, overlapping long edges 1/2"; blanket-stitch cuff to mitten to make mitten front (Diagram 2). Repeat with remaining cuff and black wool D reversed piece to make mitten back.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, position ends of white cord on wrong side of mitten back; tack in place.
4. Place mitten front atop mitten back with wrong sides together. Pin pieces together.
5. Using two strands of red embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around outer edges, leaving top cuff edges open but securing white cord at start and end of stitching (Diagram 4).
6. Use one strand of red embroidery floss to whipstitch optional metal charm in place on cuff. Tie red check ribbon in a bow around cording on one side to complete mitten.