Add Ruffled Trim
1. With wrong side inside, fold an assorted red print 2-1⁄2×42" strip in half lengthwise. Lightly press, then unfold. Fold long edges to meet at center; press again. Zigzag-stitch down center of strip, securing both raw edges in stitching.
2. With a long stitch length (5 millimeter), sew a straight line of basting stitches down center of strip, leaving thread tails at each end for gathering.
3. Pull up bobbin thread tails to evenly gather strip to length necessary to fit around desired pot rim. Use fabric glue to secure ruffled strip to pot rim, turning under short ends to hide raw edges. Let dry.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 with two red print 2-1⁄2×42" strips to adhere a ruffled strip to each remaining pot rim.
5. For ruffled tree top, repeat steps 1 and 2 with remaining red print 2-1⁄2×42" strip. Then pull up bobbin thread tails to gather strip as tightly as possible, coiling it to make a flower. Hand-stitch flower to secure layers together, then glue it to bottom of smallest pot.