Cut the Fabrics
Click on "Download This Project" to download the full-size patterns. Patterns are reversed for fusing and a method of freezer-paper applique. Make a template of Pattern E.
To use fusible web for appliqueing patterns A and C, complete following steps.
1. Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern once, leaving a small space between tracings. Cut out fusible-web pieces just outside traced lines.
2. Following manufacturer's instructions, press fusible-web pieces onto wrong side of designated fabrics; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines; peel off paper backings.
To use freezer paper for appliqueing patterns B and D, complete following steps.
1. Position freezer paper, shiny side down, over patterns. Trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions. Cut out freezer-paper shapes on drawn lines.
2. With a hot, dry iron, press freezer-paper shapes, shiny sides down, onto wrong sides of fabrics; let cool. Cut out shapes, adding 3/16" seam allowance. Cut seam allowances slightly narrower at star points; clip inner curves and corners as necessary.
3. On each applique shape, use tip of iron to press seam allowance over edge of freezer paper. (Secure seam allowances with fabric glue stick if desired.)
From batting, cut:
1 of Pattern A
From cranberry print, cut:
1 of Pattern B
2 of Pattern E
From orange print, cut:
1 of Pattern C
From gold print, cut:
1 of Pattern D