Assemble Joy Stocking
1. Layer stocking front over fabric stabilizer. Arrange letters J, O, and Y on stocking front. Fuse in place; let cool.
2. Stitch around edges of each letter with a narrow zigzag stitch.
3. Layer stocking batting pieces on wrong side of stocking front A piece and purple A reversed stocking back. Machine-baste a scant 1⁄4" from edges. Machine-quilt front and back as desired using clear monofilament thread.
4. Sew together stocking front and lining A reversed piece along straight edge (Diagram 2). Repeat for stocking back and lining A piece. Open each shape flat and press seams toward lining. Layer a front/lining piece on top of a back/lining piece.
5. Sew together front/lining piece and back/lining piece, leaving an opening for turning in the lining (Diagram 3). Clip into seam allowance at 1⁄4" intervals at curves. Turn stocking right side out through opening; press. Sew opening closed. Insert lining into stocking. Topstitch 1⁄8" from edge around top of stocking.
6. Fold ribbon in half, matching raw edges. Whipstitch fold to inside at top right of stocking. Knot ends of ribbon.
7. Fold multicolor geometric strip in half lengthwise with right sides together. Stitch along long raw edge. Turn strip right side out; press, turning under short raw edges 1⁄4". Topstitch along short edges. Pleat strip, pinning a 1⁄4" pleat every 2" (you will have nine pleats total).
8. Pin pleated cuff around top edge of stocking with short ends meeting on right side. Topstitch cuff to stocking.