1. For one block, gather a set of matching assorted print pieces (two 3-7/8" squares and one 2x9" strip) and a set of mottled brown pieces (two 3-7/8" squares, one 2x9" strip, and one 2" square).
2. Use a white or yellow pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each mottled brown 3-7/8" square.
3. Referring to Diagram 1, layer a marked mottled brown 3-7/8" square atop each assorted print 3-7/8" square. Sew each pair together with two seams, stitching 1/4" on each side of drawn line. Cut each pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward print fabric, to make four triangle-squares total.
4. Join a mottled brown 2x9" strip and a print 2x9" strip to make a strip set (Diagram 2). Press seam toward print fabric. Cut strip set into four 2"-wide segments.
5. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out triangle-squares, 2"-wide segments, and mottled brown 2" square in three rows. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams toward 2"-wide segments. Join rows to make a Churn Dash block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 8" square including seam allowances.
6. Repeat steps 1–5 to make 12 brown Churn Dash blocks total.
7. Repeat steps 1–5, substituting aqua pieces for the mottled brown pieces, to make 13 aqua Churn Dash blocks total (Diagram 4).