Assemble Stocking Tag
1. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse light green print A stocking to scrap of thin cotton batting. Trim batting even with edges of fused stocking. Fuse the B backing piece to batting side of fused stocking.
2. Position dark green print C toe and D heel on fused stocking; fuse in place.
3. With two strands of red embroidery floss, whipstitch toe and heel appliqués to stocking along inner edge.
4. With two strands of red embroidery floss, blanket-stitch around edges of fused stocking.
To make a blanket stitch, bring needle up at A and make a reverse L shape with floss (Blanket Stitch Diagram). Hold floss in place with your thumb and bring needle back down at B. Bring needle up at C to secure stitch. Continue in same manner.
5. Using six strands of green embroidery floss, hand-sew a button on toe of stocking. Securely tie floss in a knot and trim ends to 1/2".
6. Place fusible web 1-1/2x6-1/2" strip on wrong side of one red dot 1-1/2x6-1/2" strip. Fuse in place and peel off paper backing and fuse remaining red dot 1-1/2x6-1/2" strip to other side. Using decorative rotary blade or pinking shears, trim fused strip to 3/4x6". Hand-sew a long basting stitch down center of fused strip and gather to make a 2-1/2"-long ruffle; glue in place along top edge of stocking.
7. Thread six strands of green floss through top right-hand edge of stocking and tie in a knot to make the tag hanger.
8. In a word processing program, type the desired note or the recipient’s name and print on ecru cardstock, making sure written area will fit within Stocking Pattern E.
9. Cut out Stocking Pattern E and place over printed cardstock. Trace around pattern edge and cut on drawn line to make the ecru tag. If desired, use rubber stamping ink to ink the edges of the ecru tag.
10. Glue ecru tag to black cardstock and trim 1/8" from edge. Punch a hole in top of tag.
11. Use a small safety pin to pin tag to ruffle. If desired, tie three 5" lengths of baby rickrack around safety pin. Secure bottom of tag to stocking front with adhesive foam.