Assemble Churn Dash Blocks
1. For one block you’ll need one set of matching large or small red check pieces (four triangles and four 1-3⁄4x3" rectangles) and one set of matching white print pieces (four triangles, four 1-3⁄4x3" rectangles, and one 3" square).
2. Sew together one red check triangle and one white print triangle to make a triangle-square (Diagram 1). Press the seam allowance toward the red check triangle. The pieced triangle-square should measure 3" square, including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of four triangle-squares.
3. Sew together one red check rectangle and one white print rectangle to make a rectangle unit (Diagram 2). Press the seam allowance toward the red check rectangle. The pieced rectangle unit should measure 3" square, including the seam allowances. Repeat to make a total of four rectangle units.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out the four triangle-squares, the four rectangle units, and the white print 3" square in three horizontal rows. Sew together the squares in each row. Press the seam allowances toward the rectangle units. Then join the rows to make a Churn Dash block. Press the seam allowances in one direction. The pieced Churn Dash block should measure 8" square, including the seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 to make a total of 16 Churn Dash blocks.