I’m so excited to release our The Splendid Sampler block, Pieces of Friendship, today! When I first started working at American Patchwork & Quilting I couldn’t sew (I know, it’s crazy!). In my years working for the magazine, I’ve not only learned to sew from my talented co-workers, but have become an avid and passionate quilter. I owe that passion to the American Patchwork & Quilting community. I love seeing what our readers are creating, what they’re inspired by, and what they’re learning! As the online editor, there are so many talented quilters that I get to interact with every day, and their different interests inspire me, push me out of my comfort zone, and teach me so much. I had that diverse community in mind when designing this block. Just like the different colors, patterns, and shapes come together in this block to form something beautiful, our quilting community also comes together in an amazing way to support each other. This block goes out to our lovely readers!
If you’ve been following my The Splendid Sampler blocks on Instagram so far, you know I’m using Lizzie’s Legacy by Betsy Chutchian for Moda Fabrics. (Brown is my favorite color, so I can’t say no to a deep and rich color palette.) But I couldn’t resist the Summerfest collection by April Rosenthal of Prairie Grass for Moda Fabrics. Since my block is being released at the start of spring, I wanted to play with something bright and happy!
Piecing tip: If you’re like me, you like to be safer than sorry when piecing triangles. I cut my coral squares 4″ before cutting them into triangles, so I had a little extra wiggle room when trimming them down.
Piecing tip: I always use leader strips when working with triangles so my machine doesn’t eat my triangle points (and yes, I didn’t forget a few times and had to rip out a few stitches!).
I love the secondary design this block makes when you have multiples sewn together. Pinwheels are so fun for spring! Want to make the mini shown above? Here are the instructions!
You will need:
- 4 — Pieces of Friendship blocks (get the block pattern here)
- 2 — 4-1/4″ squares of Fabric A (light yellow print). Cut twice on the diagonal to yield 4 small triangles.
- 2 — 4-1/4″ squares of Fabric B (dark yellow print). Cut twice on the diagonal to yield 4 small triangles.
- 4 — 3-1/2″ squares of Fabric D (blue print)
- 4 — 3-7/8″ squares of Fabric E (red print). Cut once on the diagonal to yield 8 large triangles.
- 8 — 3-1/2″ squares of Fabric E (red print)
Note: Fabric A, fabric B, and fabric D correspond to the fabrics in the block pattern download.
1. Using Fabric A small triangles, Fabric B small triangles, and Fabric E large triangles, refer to Block Pattern Steps 1 and 2 to make eight square units total.
2. Sew together four Pieces of Friendship blocks in two rows. Join rows to make the quilt center.
3. Referring to photo above for placement, sew together Fabric D squares, Fabric E squares, and pieced square units to form borders. Sew short border strips to opposite edges of the quilt center. Add long borders to finish quilt.
Finished quilt: 18″ square
How do I get involved?
- Visit the official The Splendid Sampler website and sign up to receive email notifications when new blog posts are made.
- Take a tour of the participating designers’ websites via the links on the right side of the website.
- Join the Facebook group for inspiration and news!
- Use hashtag #TheSplendidSampler to tag photos you share on Instagram.
We can’t wait to see your blocks! Our editor Lindsay Mayland will be blogging regularly and posting pictures on her Instagram, so make sure you follow her at @lindsmayland and us at @allpeoplequilt to see her progress!
–Lindsay Mayland + American Patchwork & Quilting
12 Responses to “Our Splendid Sampler Block!”