All you need is two fat quarters to make this simple stocking! Sew one for every member of your family and fill them with fun surprises! This project is courtesy of our sewing blog, howtosew.com. Visit daily for new sewing projects and lots of holiday decorations and gift ideas!
- 2 fat quarters (or two 18×22″ pieces of fabric) for stocking and stocking lining
- Stocking pattern (find PDF here)
- Scrap of lining fabric for hanger
Finished stocking: approximately 7×16″
Assemble the Stocking:
1. Fold lining fat quarter in half lengthwise with right sides on the outside. Pin the stocking pattern to the stacked fabric.
2. Cut out around the pattern. You will have two stocking lining shapes facing opposite directions.
3. Repeat steps 1-2 with the stocking fat quarter.
4. Layer one stocking and one stocking lining on top of each other with right sides together.
5. Pin the top of the layered stockings together. Sew the top of the stockings using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press seams open.
6. Repeat steps 4-5 with the other two stocking shapes.
7. Layer the two pairs of stocking sets on top of each other with right sidestogether. Make sure the two stocking linings are laying on top of each other. Pin together.
8. Sew around the stocking shape using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Leave a 4″ opening on the lining side.
9. Clip notches on the toe curve to prevent bulk.
10. Turn the stocking right side out through the 4″ opening in the lining. Sew the 4″ opening closed using matching thread.
11. Push the lining into the stocking; smooth out.
12. Cut your saved scrap of lining fabric to 1-1/2×3″. Fold the rectangle in half lengthwise with right sides on the outside and sew the long side. We used white thread so you can see, but you should use a matching thread.
13. Fold the rectangle in half again to form a small loop. Position the loop approximately 2-1/2″ from the top on the inside of the stocking on the heel side. Sew the loop in place.
Note: You will have a small stich line on the back of your stocking. If you use a matching thread, it won’t be too noticeable.
15. Fold the top over and press in place with an iron to give it a crisp finish. The hanging loop will stick out the top.
One Response to “Make It Tonight: Simple Stocking”