Appliqué and Assemble Large Pincushion
1. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position green wool 1⁄4×5" stem on pink wool E background; baste in place.
2. Using two strands of green embroidery floss and a couching stitch, sew stem in place. To make a couching stitch, work small stitches, 1⁄4" to 3⁄8" apart, back and forth over the strip (Couching Diagram).
3. Position A flower on background; pin. Using one strand of dark pink floss and a running stitch, sew A flower in place.
To make a running stitch, pull needle up at A and insert it back into fabric at B (Running Stitch Diagram). Continue in same manner, loading several stitches on needle at a time.
4. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position B and C pieces on center of A flower. Using two strands of gold floss and a star stitch, sew both pieces in place.
To make a star stitch, pull needle up at A and push it down at B (Star Stitch Diagram). Bring needle up at C, cross it over first stitch, and push needle down at D. Pull needle up at E and push it down at F.
5. Using two strands of gold floss, add a French knot at center of C piece.
To make a French knot, pull the floss through at A, the point where the knot is desired (French Knot Diagram). Wrap the thread around needle two or three times without twisting it. Insert the tip of needle into fabric at B, 1⁄16" away from A. Gently push the wraps down the needle to meet fabric. Pull needle and trailing floss through the fabric slowly and smoothly. The size of a French knot depends on the number of floss strands and how many times you wrap them around the needle.
6. Referring to Appliqué Placement Diagram, position D leaves along stem; pin. Using one strand of green or gold floss and a backstitch, sew each leaf in place.
To backstitch, pull needle up at A (Backstitch Diagram). Insert it back into fabric at B and bring it up at C. Push needle down again at D and bring it up at E. Continue in same manner.
7. Pin appliquéd background to a teal plaid 6-1⁄2×9-1⁄2" rectangle. Using one strand of dark pink floss, tack-stitch along scalloped edges to make pincushion top.
To tack-stitch, pull needle up at A and push it down at B (Tack Stitch Diagram). Come up at C and continue in same manner around entire appliqué shape.
8. With right sides together, sew together pincushion top and remaining teal plaid 6-1⁄2×9-1⁄2" rectangle, leaving a small opening for turning. Trim corners.
9. Turn right side out. Using a chopstick or the eraser end of a pencil, push out corners. Stuff pincushion firmly with fiberfill. Whipstitch opening closed to complete large pincushion.