1. Sew together a position 1 rectangle and medium print 1-1/2" square to make block center (Diagram 1). Press seam allowance toward rectangle.
2. Add a position 2 rectangle to left-hand edge of block center (Diagram 2). Press seam allowance away from block center.
3. Add a position 3 rectangle to top edge of block center; press as before (Diagram 3).
4. Referring to Diagram 4, continue sewing rectangles to block center in a clockwise direction to make Log Cabin block. Press all seams away from block center. The block should be 4-1/2" square including seam allowances.
5. Layer Log Cabin block and a 4-1/2" square right sides together; stitch around all edges, leaving a 2" opening along one edge for turning. Turn pincushion to right side. Stuff with fiberfill. Slip-stitch opening closed.
6. Center one button on pincushion top and a second one on the bottom. Taking long stitches through the center of pincushion, sew buttons firmly in place.