Assemble and Appliqué Needle Case
1. Fold each beige 4-1⁄2×8" rectangle in half to measure 4-1⁄2×4"; steam-press to set folds. Unfold one rectangle for inner body; set the second one aside, folded, for outer body.
2. Position nylon cording along the fold of beige inner body with 3" extending below lower edge (Diagram 1). Tack-stitch cording in place, 1⁄2" from each edge. To tack-stitch, pull needle up at A and push it down at B. Come up at C and go down at D. Make several stitches to secure each cording end.
3. With pinking shears, trim black lining rectangle to 3-1⁄2×6". Center lining atop cording side of inner body. Sew a lining pocket on the right half, stitching 1⁄4" from lining edges (Diagram 2). Note: Cording will be caught by a stitching line.
4. Center hook-and-loop tape dot pieces 1⁄4" from opposite edges of inner body.
5. Referring to desired Appliqué Placement Diagram, center appliqué pieces on folded beige outer body front; baste.
6. Use gold perle cotton and work from bottom layer up to blanket-stitch pieces in place.To blanket-stitch, pull needle up at A, form a reverse L shape with floss, and hold angle of L shape in place with your thumb. Push needle down at B and come up at C to secure stitch. Continue in same manner.
7. Referring to photos, stitch buttons in place.
8. For basket needle case, make three straight stitches for flower stems between each button and the basket appliqué. To make a straight stitch, pull needle up at A and insert it back into fabric at B, 1⁄2" away from A. Pull needle up at C, 1⁄2" away from B; continue in same manner.