Designr: Sarah Goldschadt
House Pincushion Materials
3" square brown crafts felt (window and door appliqués)
6×10" rectangle gold crafts felt (house)
4×6" rectangle red crafts felt (roof)
Embroidery floss: white, gold, red
6×10" rectangle cardboard
Finished pincushion: 3-1⁄8×1-1⁄2×3-1⁄2"
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. Crafts felt doesn’t fray, so there is no need to turn under the edges of the window and door shapes.
From brown felt, cut:
2—1⁄2×3⁄4" rectangles (windows)
1 of Pattern A (door)
From gold felt, cut:
2—3-3⁄8×2-3⁄4" rectangles (front and back)
1—1-3⁄4×3-3⁄8" rectangle (bottom)
2—1-3⁄4×2-3⁄4" rectangles (sides)
From red felt, cut:
2 each of patterns B and C (roof)
1. Referring to Diagram 1, position brown felt 1⁄2×3⁄4" windows and A door shape on one gold felt 3-3⁄8×2-3⁄4" rectangle. Referring to photo, use one strand of white embroidery floss to hand-stitch around window and door edges to make house front.
2. Using two strands of gold embroidery floss, blanket-stitch gold felt 1-3⁄4×2-3⁄4" rectangles to each side edge of house front to make a row (Diagram 2). Blanket-stitch remaining gold felt 3-3⁄8×2-3⁄4" rectangle to one end of row, then blanket-stitch ends of row together to make a tube-shape house unit.
To blanket-stitch, bring needle up at A (Blanket Stitch Diagram), form a reverse L shape with the floss, and hold angle of L shape in place with your thumb. Push the needle down at B and come up at C. Continue in same manner.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, use two strands of red embroidery floss to blanket-stitch red felt B pieces to each short edge of one red felt C piece. Add remaining red felt C piece to remaining short edges of B pieces to make roof unit.
4. Referring to photo, use two strands of red embroidery floss to blanket-stitch roof unit to house unit.
5. Referring to Diagram 4, use tape to secure two cardboard 3-1⁄8×2-1⁄2" rectangles and two 1-1⁄2×2-1⁄2" rectangles together, forming a tube-shape cardboard unit.
6. Insert cardboard unit into Step 4 unit. Stuff firmly with fiberfill. Tape cardboard 1-1⁄2×3-1⁄8" piece to bottom of cardboard unit. Blanket-stitch gold felt 1-3⁄4×3-3⁄8" rectangle to bottom edges of Step 4 unit to complete house pincushion.