Assemble and Appliqué Pincushion Top
1. Fold an assorted print A triangle in half with right side inside and two edges aligned; finger-press fold (Diagram 1). Stitch along top edge to make a star point.
2. Turn star point right side out; place star point right side down on pressing surface. Using crease to center the point, press point flat (Diagram 2).
3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 to make six star points total.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together star points in two vertical rows. Press seams in each row in opposite directions. Then join rows to make Dresden star unit. Press seam in one direction.
5. Referring to Diagram 4, center Dresden star unit on solid white B circle. Pin or baste pieces in place. Straight-stitch close to edges of Dresden star unit to make pincushion top. On some pincushions, designer Monica Soloro-Snow blanket-stitched along the Dresden star unit edges or hand-appliquéd them in place.
6. Referring to Diagram 5, sew together straight edges of solid white C half-circles, leaving an opening in the middle for stuffing, to make pincushion back. Press seam open.