Assemble and Appliqué Pillow Front
1. Referring to Pillow Front Appliqué Placement Diagram, position and pin appliqué pieces A–K, turquoise linen ribbon 4-1/2"-long stem, 10"-long turquoise velvet ribbon, and 8"-long green velvet ribbon pieces on 18-1/2" pillow front. Tuck edges of A–E petals and F flower base under medium green wool G oval; tuck ends of turquoise linen ribbon under F flower base and K hill pieces. Baste in place.
2. Using threads that match appliqués, whipstitch wool appliqué shapes in place. Use 12-weight, 50% wool/50% acrylic thread and a No. 24 chenille needle for the wool appliqué.
To whipstitch, bring needle up at A and down at B (Whipstitch Diagram). Continue in same manner around entire shape.
3. Using threads that match appliqués, hand-appliqué cotton pieces in place, turning under the 1/4" seam allowance with your needle as you stitch. (Try 60-weight cotton thread and a No. 11 straw needle.)
4. Using threads that match, whipstitch turquoise linen ribbon, green velvet ribbon, and turquoise velvet ribbon pieces in place.
5. Referring to photo on page 1, add long running stitches to create curving vertical lines on orange print petals and green print leaves using green perle cotton.