1. Sew together a cream batik or print 5" square and a position 1 rectangle (Diagram 1). Press seam toward position 1 rectangle.
2. Referring to Diagram 2, add a cream batik or print position 2 rectangle to top edge of pieced Step 1 unit. Press seam toward added rectangle.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, add a cream batik or print position 3 rectangle to right side of pieced Step 2 unit. Press seam as before.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, add a cream batik or print position 4 rectangle to top of pieced Step 3 unit to make a block. Press seam as before. The block should be 9" square including seam allowances.
5. Repeat steps 1–4 to make four blocks total.