Assemble and Appliqué Flag Block
1. Aligning long edges, sew together the cream print 2-1⁄2×5-1⁄2" rectangle and the red print 2-1⁄2×5-1⁄2" rectangle (Diagram 1). Press seam toward red print rectangle.
2. Join the navy print 5- 1⁄2×4- 1⁄2" rectangle to the Step 1 unit to make the flag top (Diagram 2). Press seam toward navy print rectangle.
3. Referring to Diagram 3, sew together two assorted red print 2-1⁄2×10-1⁄2" rectangles and the cream print 2-1⁄2×10-1⁄2" rectangle to make the flag bottom. Press seams toward red print rectangles.
4. Join flag top and flag bottom to make the flag unit. Press seam in one direction.
5. Referring to Flag Appliqué Placement Diagram, arrange five gold print A stars on the flag; fuse in place. Using threads that match the stars, machine-blanket-stitch around each star. (To add dimension to the appliqués, Avis waited to stitch them in place until after the quilt top was layered with batting and backing.)
6. Sew blue check 1-1⁄2×10- 1⁄2" strips to opposite edges of the flag unit. Join blue check 1-1⁄2×12 -1⁄2" strips to remaining edges of flag unit to complete flag block (Diagram 4). Press seams toward blue check strips.