Cut and Assemble Pineapple Pillow Top
Cut pieces in the following order.
From assorted yellow prints, cut:
From dark blue print, cut:
2—2-1⁄2×42" binding strips
2—2×14-1⁄2" border strips
2—2×11-1⁄2" border strips
From assorted blue prints, cut:
2—1-1⁄2×11-1⁄2" rectangles for positions 15 and 16
4—1-1⁄2×9-1⁄2" rectangles for positions 11 through 14
4—1-1⁄2×7-1⁄2" rectangles for positions 7 through 10
4—1-1⁄2×5-1⁄2" rectangles for positions 3 through 6
2—1-1⁄2×3-1⁄2" rectangles for positions 1 and 2
1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong side of each yellow print 2" and 2-1⁄2" square. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw the line, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.) Note: Instead of drawing a line, you may use an iron to press each square in half diagonally with the wrong side inside. Open pressed square and use crease as a stitching guideline.
2. Align a marked yellow print 2" square with one corner of the dark blue print 3-1⁄2" square (Diagram 1; note placement of marked diagonal line). Stitch on marked line; trim excess fabric, leaving a 1⁄4" seam allowance. Press attached triangle open. Add a second marked yellow print square to opposite corner; trim and press as before. In the same manner, add yellow print 2" squares to remaining corners of dark blue print square to make a block center (Diagram 2).
3. Sew blue print position 1 and 2 rectangles to opposite edges of block center (Diagram 3). Press seams (and all following seam allowances, unless otherwise indicated) away from block center.
4. Add blue print position 3 and 4 rectangles to remaining edges of block center to make a bordered block center (Diagram 4). The bordered block center should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
5. Referring to Step 2, add four marked yellow print 2-1⁄2" squares to corners of bordered block center (Diagram 5; note placement of marked diagonal lines). The bordered block center should still be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
6. Continue adding blue print strips in numerical order to bordered block center. After each round of strips, add marked yellow print 2-1⁄2" squares to corners to make a Pineapple block (Diagram 6). The Pineapple block should be 11-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
7. Join dark blue print 2×11-1⁄2" border strips to opposite edges of Pineapple block. Join dark blue print 2×14-1⁄2" border strips to remaining edges to complete Pineapple pillow top.