1. Use a pencil to mark a diagonal line on wrong sides of the white floral 5-7⁄8" squares. (To prevent fabric from stretching as you draw the lines, place 220-grit sandpaper under each square.)
2. Layer a marked square atop a brown stripe 5-7⁄8" square. Sew pair together with two seams, sewing 1⁄4" on each side of drawn line (Diagram 1). Cut pair apart on drawn line to make two triangle units. Press each triangle unit open, pressing seam toward brown stripe, to make two triangle-squares. Each triangle-square should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four triangle-squares total.
3. Referring to Diagram 2, join a brown stripe 2×5-1⁄2" rectangle, a white floral 2-1⁄2×5-1⁄2" rectangle, and a brown dot 2×5-1⁄2" rectangle to make a Rail Fence unit. Press seams toward center rectangle. The Rail Fence unit should be 5-1⁄2" square including seam allowances. Repeat to make four Rail Fence units total.
4. Referring to Diagram 3, lay out triangle-squares, Rail Fence units, and the white floral 5-1⁄2" square in three horizontal rows.
5. Sew together pieces in each row. Press seams away from Rail Fence units. Join rows to make a block. Press seams in one direction. The block should be 15-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.