Assemble Pleated Pillow
1. Sew together two red-and-green stripe 2-1⁄2×20" strips along short end to make a long red-and-green stripe strip. Press seam open.
2. Turn under 1⁄4" twice along one long edge of long red-and-green stripe strip; press. Topstitch close to folded edge to make a hemmed long strip.
3. Referring to Diagram 1, fold a 3⁄4"-wide pleat 2" from one end of hemmed long strip; press. Continue making pleats every 1-1⁄2" along entire strip to make a 20-1⁄2"-long pleated strip; trim length or adjust pleats if necessary.
4. Repeat steps 1–3 to make a second pleated strip.
5. With right sides together, align raw edge of a pleated strip with one long edge of Christmas tree stripe 8×20-1⁄2" rectangle. Baste together using a scant 1⁄4" seam allowance (Diagram 2). Repeat to baste remaining pleated strip to opposite long edge of Christmas tree stripe rectangle.
6. Aligning one long edge, position a green print 6-3⁄4×20-1⁄2" rectangle right side down atop Christmas tree stripe rectangle. Sew together through all layers (Diagram 3). Press seam toward Christmas tree stripe rectangle, pressing pleated strip toward green print rectangle.
7. Repeat Step 6 to sew remaining green print 6-3⁄4×20-1⁄2" rectangle to opposite long edge of Christmas tree stripe rectangle to make pleated pillow top (Diagram 4). The pillow top should be 20-1⁄2" square including seam allowances.
8. With wrong side inside, fold each green print 20-1⁄2×24-1⁄2" rectangle in half to make two 20-1⁄2×12-1⁄4" double-thick rectangles. Overlap folded edges by about 4" to make a 20-1⁄2"-square pillow back (Diagram 5). Baste overlapped edges.
9. With right sides together, layer pleated pillow top and pillow back; pin or baste edges. Sew together through all layers to make pleated pillow cover.
10. Turn pillow cover right side out through opening in pillow back. Insert 20"-square pillow form to complete pleated pillow.