Inspired by: Floral Tiles from designer Denise Russell of Pieced Brain
Project tester: Jan Ragaller
Yardages and cutting instructions are based on 42" of usable fabric width.
- 1⁄2 yard yellow print (appliqué foundation, binding)
- 1—10" square each medium blue print, red print, light blue print, white polka dot, and red polka dot (appliqués, sashing rectangles and squares)
- 1⁄3 yard dark blue print (corner triangles)
- 1⁄3 yard backing fabric
- 1⁄4 yard (20"-wide) lightweight iron-on fusible web
- 18"-square pillow form
Finished size: 17-1⁄2" square
Finished block: 9" square
Cut pieces in the following order. Click on "Download this Project" above for pattern pieces. To use fusible web for appliquéing, complete the following steps.
1) Lay fusible web, paper side up, over patterns. Use a pencil to trace each pattern the number of times indicated in cutting instructions, leaving 1⁄2" between tracings. Cut out each fusible-web shape roughly 1⁄4" outside traced lines.
2) Following manufacturer’s instructions, press each fusible-web shape onto wrong side of designated fabric; let cool. Cut out fabric shapes on drawn lines. Peel off paper backings.
From yellow print, cut:
- 2—2-1⁄2 × 42" binding strips
- 1 —9-1⁄2" square
From medium blue print, cut:
- 1 of Pattern A
From red print, cut:
- 4 of Pattern B
From light blue print, cut:
- 8 of Pattern C
From white polka dot, cut:
- 4—2 × 9-1⁄2" sashing rectangles
From red polka dot, cut:
- 4—2" sashing squares
From dark blue print, cut:
- 2—9-3⁄8" squares, cutting each in half diagonally for 4 corner triangles total
From backing fabric, cut:
- 2—11-1⁄2 ×18" rectangles