Assemble the Checkered Strip
1. Aligning long edges, sew together the yellow print 1-1⁄4 ×14" strip and the rose print 1-1⁄4 ×14" strip to make a strip set (Diagram 1). Press the seam allowance toward the rose print strip. Cut the strip set into a total of fourteen 1"-wide segments.
2. Sew together the yellow print and rose print 1" segments to make the checkered strip (Diagram 2). Press the seam allowances in one direction. Referring to Diagram 3, lay the Pattern G template atop the checkered strip; cut out.
Assemble the Pillow Top
1. Arrange the rose print J flower and green print K and L leaves atop the yellow print I piece (Diagram 4); fuse in place. Using ecru embroidery floss and working from the bottom layer to the top, blanket-stitch around each piece. To blanket-stitch, pull your needle up at A (Blanket Stitch Diagram), form a reverse L shape with the floss, and hold the angle of the L shape in place with your thumb. Then push the needle down at B and come up at C to secure the stitch.
2. Referring to the Appliqué Foundation Diagram, lay out pieces A through I in sections. Sew together the pieces in each section. Press the seam allowances in one direction. Then join the sections to make the pillow top center; press. The pieced pillow top center should measure 7-1⁄2 ×8-1⁄2", including the seam allowances.
3. Sew rose print 1-1⁄2 ×7-1⁄2" border strips to the short edges of the pillow top center. Then sew the rose print 1-1⁄2 ×10-1⁄2" border strips to the long edges to complete the pillow top. Press all seam allowances toward the border.