Assemble Elephant Body
When sewing, press all seams open.
1. Place patchwork C ear and light gray print C reversed ear with right sides together; stitch around ear from dot to dot, leaving a 2" opening for turning. Clip seam allowances and turn right side out. Press, making sure raw edges are tucked in. Topstitch 1⁄8" from edge to make ear.
2. Referring to Diagram 3, pin ear to patchwork A body where marked. Machine-stitch ear between marks.
3. Using three strands of embroidery floss, backstitch an eye on patchwork A body. To backstitch, pull needle up at A (Backstitch Diagram). Insert it back into fabric at B and bring it up at C. Push needle down at D. Continue in the same manner.
4. Referring to Diagram 4, lay patchwork A body faceup on a flat surface. Place patchwork B reversed inside leg atop A body with right sides together. Line up dots and bottom of legs; pin. Using a short stitch length, machine-stitch along back leg, inside legs, and front leg to make a half elephant.
5. Using the patchwork A reversed body, patchwork B inside leg, patchwork C reversed ear, and light gray print C ear, repeat steps 1–4 to make a second half elephant.
6. With right sides together, pin a light gray print D circle to the bottom of a leg (Diagram 5). Join pieces to make a foot. Repeat to make four feet total.
7. Cut aqua yarn into 12—20"- long pieces. With ends aligning, hold yarn pieces securely in one hand and twist pieces until they twist back on themselves. When they start to twist back on themselves, fold the yarn lengths in half, bringing raw ends together and let the folded end go. The yarn will wrap around itself to make a twisted cord.Tie ends in an overhand knot to secure the twisted cord and make the tail (see photo).
8. Referring to Diagram 6, fold an inside leg piece to the wrong side of an elephant half; pin. Repeat with the second elephant half. Place elephant halves with right sides together, matching long straight sides of elephant’s belly; pin. Join elephany halves, making sure not to catch folded portion in seam.
9. Referring to Diagram 7, sew around elephant body leaving area for pocket open.
10. Clip seam allowances around curves and at any inside points. Carefully turn right side out to make elephant body.